Monday, 14 November 2016

Chicken Run (2000) Movie Review And Summary

I have the opportunity of seeing the 16 years old Chicken Run Feature length film in 2016, on my mind when I was out on the hunt again, I finally came across a copy of it inside a store. Having heard of it, I bought it down. And that decision, is not regrettable. Although I do not believe that this is the first time that I have heard of, or even came across, a title of this particular specific title. Which is Chicken Run (2000).

That goes way back, to the days when I was still a young boy, when the fragile little tiny mind of mine was still too young to understand this “Great Scott!” of a stop motion animation feature film. Even then, I has absolutely no idea of what are bootleg copies and what are original copies. Only this time, unlike the unsure of last time, I had a certified copy of the film; purchased locally of course. And I think that it is really quite something. Something you’ve never seen before and will undeniably entertain and delight audiences of any age and a liker of any animation type. Ahem, just a minute. There may be a potential that a lover of Japanese Animation would think otherwise. Well, I’m not surprised. Given the potentials and the amount of bias going on around the animation community due to J Animation itself (Mostly Barbarians, except for Studio Ghibli). If those people think that they’ve seen greatness, they’d be wrong, terribly wrong. I wasn’t because I wasn’t one before and I wasn’t wrong.

In a modern world drowned with Japanese Animation, it is quite clear of the bias that goes around. As clear as minor glimmers of racism, I would suggest. And as one knows what is needed, is not just, even not entirely, Disney films. It would be the presence of stop motion features as well. Unlike hand drawn motion pictures, they are clay puppets being animated. And just like that, I can believe that they would outshine any kind of animation because of it being almost universally connectable to it’s audiences. Even those who can’t draw? Precisely. Because that’s what I am, too. And to think, someone like me who hasn’t even drawn a single piece of fan-art in his life, could like something as grand as a saying that goes as “Son of a gun.” of a stop motion feature length animation film. How could another not like it? I suppose that only the specific audience would not. More specifically, it would be lovers of Japanese Animation.

On a side note of a liking, I watched Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of The Were Rabbit (2005) in bootleg copy when I was young. Watching it once again in borrowed DVD (Certified), I was amazed as much as when I was young, at a time when I didn’t even know what was going on yet rewatched the film multiple times without knowing why (Except that I enjoy it very much.). Another great stop motion would be the most recent picture from Aardman Animation Studios, Shaun The Sheep Movie (2015). These three, are all animation films that I adore with all my heart. Think Disney, Think Anime and Think Studio Ghibli. Not even Anime could convince me, however only some of Studio Ghibli could in that department.

What is it all about? The Great Escape from Prison. Only this time, it isn’t humans escaping a human prison, as similarly in “The Great Escape (1963)”. It’s Chickens escaping a human prison run by their owners. Who’d raise them so that they’d lay eggs day in and day out. And when they can’t anymore, they’d kill them. In the midst of the Chicken community, the only slim one of the hen bunch is their leader in this rebellion as well.

Her name, is Ginger. And she is very well voiced by Julia Sawalha. She’s so determined and strong as a feminine like character that you’d forget that she is just an animated plasticine Chicken. Alongside with many other big hens and other roosters. She cares about what happens to the bunch, and alongside of her fellow crew members, she hatches a plan to get them out of the prison like Chicken Coup surrounded by a barbed wire fence. Their methods, similar to the ways human criminals plot escapes from prison, wraps around such ingenuity, inventiveness, exhilaration, action and fun that you’d forget that this is simply just an animated picture. You’d feel as if you’re watching live action. There you go, I said it. And just like what I said before, what I said would imply that most of  J Animation makes me lose faith in animation motion pictures and move on to more live action features.

And the music, co-composed by John Powell and Harry Gregson-Williams. Both of which are future composers of How To Train you Dragon (2010) and The Martial (2015), two individual composers for two individual movies of course. Yet the former album seemingly is evoked as a sense of nostalgia as soon as one listens to the opening title tracks of Chicken Run (2000). Indeed, I was reminded of the music for How To Train Your Dragon (2010) when I was watching the opening. While savoring the dramatic music before the film’s big plot egg hatches.

If you need something other than Disney or Anime, there you go. And as the hatched plot is set in motion, what unfolds is minor escape espionage, twisted words and truths, slight romance, the inevitable discussion of themes regarding the natures of humans and chickens, and also indeed, plot holes. Regardless of the final, it is still an excellent picture that is seemingly impossible to compare to any animation feature length film ever made. To think that this was Aardman’s very first Feature Length Animation film they’ve produced!

If you need some faith in animation, restored by the non-dangerous arenas of non-anime kind of animation, there you go. Trust me, I know it sounds different and cliché, but I don’t just waltz into an animation title (Especially anime) for no apparent reason. But I did here, and the final word would be: Egg-Wow!